Throwing up. Vomiting. Not something that happens every day in our house, but when it does, it’s so traumatic for all involved that I felt the need to blog about it today. It wasn’t Zach or I or Hank (thank GOD!) but Sadee broke her two year record of not throwing up. She got up Tuesday morning complaining of a tummy ache. She said her tummy hurt the night before because she was still hungry. The day before that she said her tummy hurt because she wanted a piece of gum. Last week her tummy hurt because she didn’t want to marry Cooper.
So when she complained her tummy hurt on Tuesday morning, I assumed it was because she didn’t want to get up and get ready for school. Typical. Looking back, she was a liiiiittle bit slower moving than normal. Anywho, I am too busy trying to get us all dressed and fed and out the door.
On the way to school, she continues to tell me her tummy hurts and I say, “OK. We’re almost there. We can go potty when you get to school.” We approach the intersection to turn on the road to school and I can hear the panic in her voice. She says her tummy REALLY hurts now and I knew it was coming. I could see her in the rear view mirror as she took a drink of pink milk to try to make herself feel better. Nope.
Then the inevitable. I will spare you the details. But God, I felt horrible. I felt like the worst mother in the world. I did an illegal U-turn into a parking lot far too late to help her with anything, but I was at least able to offer her some comfort. Then we headed right back for the house. I must have told her two dozen times how sorry I was for not being right there to help her. I mostly felt sorry for rushing through and ignoring her complaints about her tummy. Maybe she needs to come up with a new symptom for what she’s concerned about.
Either way, I feel awful I wasn’t at home with her, helping her in the bathroom with a warm wash rag to clean her face and give her comfort. I could cry right now just thinking about how guilty I feel. This started off to be a fairly humorous post, but it has turned into something a little more heavy.
Is this motherhood? Scrambling around trying to get people shifted and situated so I can go to work? What’s it all for? OK. Just needed to get that off my chest…
I am so glad Zach was there to help take care of her.
1 comment:
Bless your beautiful heart! I don't have any words of wisdom to share except "take it to the Lord in prayer." I am.
Post a Comment