July 23, 2004

Baby News!

Zach and I talked on the way to Andrews about how we were going to break the news to my family. I had been thinking about it for a while and I thought I should tell my sister first. I had bought a belated birthday card for my mother, only it said on the front, "For My Grandmother, with all my love on your birthday". It was the perfect card. It was the Thursday before Marissa's wedding day and I didn't want her weekend to be overshadowed by our news. We decided to tell her first, just with the two of us and let that be special. Boy was it! I told her I needed to show her something in the car. Mom, Dad and Zach were out in the back yard, so I knew the coast was clear. In the back seet of the car, we had both doors open and I handed her the pregnancy test. It was the kind that a Pregnant or Not Pregnant display on it, so it was clearly obvious. She saw the test and said, "Really!!!" Then she ran around to my side of the car and hugged me so tight! It was such a sweet moment. She was SOOO very happy. So then I told her I didn't want to overshadow her weekend and I said we can wait till after the wedding if she liked to tell mom and dad. She said "NO! Tell them RIGHT now!" So we went in the back yard to break the news. I signaled to Zach that we were going to tell them right then. Marissa was about to explode! So mom was sitting down and dad was grilling some hamburgers. I said, "hey mom, we got you a little something for your birthday." I handed her the envelope with the test inside. She was saying "This is a fat envelope, I wonder what's in here?" She didn't have a clue. She opened the envelope and saw the front of the card. She looked at me with an emotionally puzzled look and said "What does this mean?" She kept saying it over and over while looking at the test and then it finally sunk in. "You're gonna have a baby?" I said yes! She jumped out of her seat and we hugged and cried. Then she screamed "woo hoo" at the top of her lungs! It was one of the sweetest moments of my entire life. In fact it may be the sweetest. It was such a pure and precious moment. I think more than anything, it was so special because it was just us. Zach was so happy and so moved by mom's reaction. The funny part (there always is one with our family) is that dad couldn't quite figure it all out. I guess he didn't hear mom say baby and he started looking at the test. For some reason he thought it was a foot scrubber! Not until he looked at the card did he finally figure out what the hallabaloo was. When he did he just smiled and put his hand on his head. He hugged me and hugged Zach and looked so happy. Right about that time, Marissa's fiance, Adam, came outside and was tossed in the loop. He said, "Shut up!" I said "Hey Uncle Adam!!" Mom got on the phone and started telling the whole world. She cried for a bit longer and we persuaded her to wait and tell some people in person. She decided to wait and when she told Cydney, it was another sweet moment! What a weekend! The wedding was so great and everyone was so happy for us all. We told Zach's family over the phone last night and they are ecstatic. As happy and excited as I was to tell them, I was sad it had to be over the phone. I so wanted to tell them in person. It's alright though. It was such a sweet weekend.

No comments: